Monday, February 14, 2011

Cooking moments: Kaldereta

In my attempt to have a variety of meals to cook aside from the usual tinola, sinigang and adobo, I took a chance to make kaldereta! The usual kaldereta that mommy makes is the one with the coconut milk. They say that the Tagalogs do it that way so to be different and have the usual kaldereta taste from the street karinderia, I searched online for a recipe that will call the use of liver spread! I just went to the kitchen after I have the ingredients and procedure in my head. I really do not usually follow the ingredients, the measurement and the procedure to the dot. I want to experiment and do my own version. I do taste test and base the flavorings on that. I know I will not be a very good recipe write someday! Hehehehe... I learned to cook that way. I just watch attentively and taste.. So you know why I am very very healthy! Hahahaha...

For the ingredients,
  • garlic
  • onion
  • bell pepper
  • tomatoes
  • potato
  • carrots
  • liver spread ---> I used one small can of Reno!
  • 1 kilo of pork ... you can use beef if you have the budget!
  • pickle relish ---> i added this to the last minute for some sweet taste
  • cooking oil
  • achuete extract
The way that I cooked it is very simple:
  1. Sauteed the usual suspect ---> Garlic until golden brown or fragrant... Add onion until translucent and then the tomatoes. I usually cooked the tomatoes and let is stew in its own juices to have that tomatoey! taste...
  2. Add the pork and let it brown a bit
  3. When the pork is somewhat brown, I added some seasoning like 1 pack of magic sarap, a dash of knorr seasoning, a tablespoon of oyster sauce, a teaspoon of pepper and 1 cube of beef cube
  4. Add the green bell pepper ---> Love love bell pepper
  5. Cook until the peppers are wilted
  6. Add some stock ---> I added water to the achuete extract, just add the stock to the amount of sauce that you want
  7. Let is simmer
  8. Add the potatoes and cook until tender
  9. Put in the liver spread on the last end and add a tablespoon of pickle relish
  10. You can put in chili peppers for that distinctively kaldereta spiciness

As usual, I have the ingredients ready so I will not waste time looking for the stuff I need


I love the smell of bell peppers cooking

Mommy munching on something...

The finish product.. I forgot to take a picture of Christian eating this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment